Title: The graphic and historical illustrator; an original miscellany of literary, antiquarian, and topographical information, embellished with one hundred and fifty woodcuts
Year: 1834 (1830s)
Authors: Brayley, E. W. (Edward Wedlake), 1773-1854
Subjects: England — Antiquities England — Architecture England — Description and travel
Publisher: London, Chidley
Contributing Library: Robarts – University of Toronto
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
sted. But the estate for many yearshas been tenanted as a farm, and called OckwelVs.The above cut represents the east front of OckholtManor-house, with its picturesque wooden gables,and that venerable simplicity of aspect, which marksits character.! The bay-window, with five lights in * Vide Pat. Roll. 5a. Henry III. t A view of this exterior was given in Lysonss MagnaBritannia, Berksh ire, 1806; but some alterations have beensince made in the gables and other parts. THE GRAPHIC AND HISTORICAL ILLUSTRATOR. 373 two divisions, is that of the Great Hall, which is anoble apartment, forty feet in length, thirty feetwide, and twenty-eight feet in height to thepresent ceiling : this ceiling, however, has been in-troduced at a later date, and conceals the more ancient roof, which is sustained by a framework offine arches, springing from sculptured corbels, &c,in nearly a similar style to that at Crosby Hall. Inthe subjoined cut, this apartment, as it now appears,is accurately represented.
Text Appearing After Image:
The interior is surrounded with oak-paneling,and in the windows are various coats of arms, coevalwith the edifice, in distinct and vivid colouring.Among the arms, which are depicted, (one in eachwindow,) on a ground of diagonal stripes, containingflowers, and mottoes in the old text hand, arethose of King Henry the Sixth, with the Antelopeshis supporters ; his Queen, Margaret of Anjou, withher supporters, the Antelope and the Eagle; theNorreys, with Beavers for supporters ; the Abbey ofWestminster; Beaufort, Duke of Somerset; Edmund,last Earl of March; Henry, Duke of Warwick; Dela Pole, Duke of Suffolk; Sir William Beauchamp,Lord St. Amand ; Sir William Lacon, of Bray,Chief Justice of the Kings Bench ; the Lord Wen-lock ; Sir Richard Naufan; Captain of Calais;Sir John Pury, knt., of Chamberhouse Castle, inthe parish of Thatch am, Berks; and of Bulstrode,quartering Shobingdon :* the latter was, probably, * Lysons Berkshire, viz. further additions, p. *?05.In the same work are two colou
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.
Tagged: , bookid:graphichistorica00brayuoft , bookyear:1834 , bookdecade:1830 , bookcentury:1800 , bookauthor:Brayley__E__W___Edward_Wedlake___1773_1854 , booksubject:England____Antiquities , booksubject:England____Architecture , booksubject:England____Description_and_travel , bookpublisher:London__Chidley , bookcontributor:Robarts___University_of_Toronto , booksponsor:MSN , bookleafnumber:381 , bookcollection:robarts , bookcollection:torontoSome local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.